Watermelon gazpacho is yet another staple food to survive hot Maltese summer. It is also one of my favorites. Honestly, I guarantee you would love it, too. Absolutely effortless, light and refreshing meal that lasts for couple of days!
The ratio of vegetables is approximate; you might use your own taste and preferences as a guidance. Most importantly, I would advise you to choose sweet watermelon and ripe sweet Maltese tomatoes because these two perfectly complement each other, especially when highlighted with picante chili.
There are so many variations of toppings for this gazpacho: feta, pecorino, croutons, chopped tomatoes, seeds, avocado, fresh soft herbs or a mix of vegetables.
You could also add a few ice cubes in your bowl, if you want to refresh yourself even more.
Imagine a hot day; you crawl into your house, tired and hungry. You open the fridge and here it is… Super summery watermelon gazpacho is waiting for you for the whole day, ready to eat, nice and chilled.What could be better?
Therefore, I think you really need to try it out! Enjoy!
to make approximately 2 litres
- 1 medium seedless watermelon
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 red peppers (seeds removed, roughly chopped)
- 1 large cucumber (peeled, roughly chopped)
- ½ sweet red onion (roughly chopped)
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1- 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Zest of ½ unwaxed lemon
- chilli flakes
- Roughly chop watermelon flesh and place it in a big mixing bowl.
- Peel and deseed tomatoes. To peel tomatoes score a cross in the skin of the base of a tomato. Place in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Leave for a minute, drain and peel off the skin. Remove the seeds and chop roughly. Add to the bowl.
- Add the rest of the vegetables in the bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a good pinch of chilli flakes and honey (optional). Season with salt and mix everything very well with your hands.
- You can either use a hand blender or a standing blender to whizz everything until very smooth.
- Taste the mixture, adjust seasoning if you wish. You might want to add some more vinegar, mix everything again, place it in the fridge and let it chill thoroughly.
- Decorate. Drizzle with some olive oil and serve.
To add some texture, you can decorate your gazpacho with finely chopped watermelon (I used yellow for color), onions and cucumber.