If you want to enjoy a taste of spring in just one plate – this frittata is perfect for you! Very easy to make, healthy and delicious, the combination of peas, broad beans and mint oil is ideal – it doesn’t need any changes or modifications whatsoever. Would you agree?
Broad bean and pea frittata with mint oil
- 200 gr podded broad beans
- 200 gr fresh peas
- 2 small shallots
- Olive oil
- A small bunch of fresh mint (leaves only)
- 8 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cheeselet of fresh ġbejna
For mint oil:
- Olive oil 100 ml
- A small bunch of fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 190 C
- Bring a large pan of water to boil and then blanch the broad beans in there for 5 minutes, drain and refresh them in the ice water, then drain again. Peel the broad beans. The skin should slip off very easily (see tips). Blanch the peas in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, drain and refresh them in the ice water. Set aside.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Heat a frying pan with a bit of olive oil over a medium heat. Add shallots and let them sweat until they become very soft and transparent. Remove them from the pan and leave to cool.
- Line 25 cm spring form with baking paper and drizzle it with olive oil – not too much.
- In a large bowl mix onions, broad beans, peas and fresh mint.
- In separate bowl beat the eggs and season them with salt and pepper.
- Now pour the eggs into the bowl with broad beans and peas. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the baking form, crumble the gbejna on top and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile pour the olive oil into the beaker, add mint and use the hand blender to wiz it till completely combined.
- Remove the pan from the oven, let it cool a bit, drizzle with some mint oil and serve.